Blog Archive

2009, sketchbook #1

So here's when I started carrying actual sketchbooks around, instead of drawing on loose leaf paper. I think it unintentionally created a change in how I draw. On loose leaf paper, I could do a drawing, say "Oh, this sucks, I'll throw it out", and then start over. But you can't really filter in a sketchbook, unless you want to throw away the whole book, or rip pages out.

In other words, it becomes less about "performing" on paper, and more about just drawing for yourself, which is a lot more freeing in a way.

The drawings above were me trying to figure out a design for a mini-comic I wanted to do. I never got around to it, though.


There are a lot of drawings of little Appalachian wall-eyed waifs in my sketchbooks. I think they're cute in a pathetic and sad way.



High school friends. I also always meant to do a comic about these people. I have a bunch roughed out, but I never finished them.



Happy Christmas!

More soon!